Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I wish...

After my french class, i went to Books @ cafe to meet my friends since it's Agi's birthday. It turned out great, but for a minor glitch "my parents are angry", let's guess why, cause they don't want me to go out more than once a week, and even in this one time they're gonna turn my life into a living hell - not because they hate but because am a girl and we're a conservative family. Just because i was born a girl, i tend to miss out on most of the life events, and just because my brother doesn't go out much, then i should burry myself and die. Here is the typical answer "Do you see us going out all the time?" Well- all the time basically means twice a week in their language, and second point if you're gonna be "a social animal" that you are, doesn't mean i should be. Third, "Go out with us", look not everything in life is family kay? This is annoying, this is frustrating, and this a journal of a very frustrated girl living in a conservation society where girls should be burried (it would be better than shielding them 24/7). It bugs me to think, that we need protection, that we're helpless and we should stay at home because "What will people say?" Look - What will people say will say it anyway. Anyho, if i could.. wish something right now.. i'd wish i was free...

10 Comments:

Blogger Omernos said...

Hey,,
Well I don't know about you but Girls here in Amman Jordan are so not living this life! They're sooooo active and they go out more than guys ya3ni. They're TAKING OVER JORDAN! WAAA3...
You Should Feel Happy that You Have A Family That Cares...Unlike others ma be3rafoo wein banat-hom

W Ba3dein two times in a week is enough I guess...

Tu Vois? OMAR =]

9:20 AM  
Blogger M!R@CHK@ said...

Hey girl welcome to the planet :)
Well i totally agree with you and i really know what your talking about and i passed through this phase but at some point your parents will realise alone that you have to go out just dont give it up :)
M!R@CHK@

11:30 AM  
Blogger Roba said...

Omernos, I didn't really get what you meant. You don't know about gus girls but here in Amman, Jordan what?

Amino, welcome to Jordan Planet. I always feel so happy when I see more girls join JP, I hope that you have a wonderful time here as I'm sure you will, we have a very pleasant community.

I loved your post, as I completely relate. Thankfully, my parents are quite open-minded, so our fights are more about whether 11 is too early to be home or not. But the thing is, the issue is about gender roles. I just get really ticked off at how women are supposed to sit at home and be all submissive and docile. It doesn't make sense to me that my immature brothers are allowed to stay out as late as they like while I have curfews, when I am the one handling the house matters from bills to shopping to official material as my parents live in Saudi Arabia.
Believe me, I'm all for inno "il wa7ed ye7terem 7alo", but I still can't help but get ticked off by the fact that people differentiate between the sexes. Ah!
I'm gonna agree with Mira though, keep going out and your parents will eventually get the point.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Nader said...

At least u go out.
BTW, Welcome the planet :)

Regards,
Nader

1:15 PM  
Blogger SugarCubes said...

I feel you dear, just hang in there and things will be better I'm sure. Don't give up, that's a rule and never think of doing anything just for the heck of it, if you know what I mean. Besides, two times in a week is not bad at all :p

You know what, no matter how conservative and strict your parents are if you proved yourself, it remains a matter of time...just be patient hun.

And hey, welcome to the planet :)

2:29 PM  
Blogger Ameen Malhas said...

I'd like to echo everyone's feelings and say .. Welcome to the Planet.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Amino said...

I am glad someone knows what i am talking about!! Girls in the arabic world are paying the toll of a street they never crossed. I gotta disagree with you O, there is a big difference between care and sexism - why can't arabic families CARE for their sons for a change. "Unlike others ma be3rafoo wein banat-hom" well... why can't we say "Ma be3rafoo wein wladhom?" see my point Big O! Thanks for the support everyone.

6:03 AM  
Blogger jameed said...

I would like to echo what Ameen (bas Ameen) said.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Natasha said...

Welcome to the Planet Amino. We are glad to have you with us:-) Looking forward to reading more of your interesting writings.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Omernos said...

I was practically killed!

lol...

Amino you know i LOVEE to diss your posts...and I'll keep dissing them..til you, err, stop. LOL

JK, JK, JK...

People, 7aram 3alaikom...LOL

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home